Any activity can become stressful when there is too much ‘doing’ involved in it. Preparing for exams is one such activity. Here, we are consciously pushing ourselves to study. We ‘know’ that a lot is at stake. “This exam can save one year of my life” – is what we believe! – a 2-hour exam can ‘save’ 365 X 24 hours of our life! – are we playing lottery with ourselves? But that’s how our belief system works under pressure.
Here is a list of ways that can help us assuage this state of anxiety and stress:
1. Write out a blog which talks about reducing stress. When you write, you will realize that you know it all and that you just have to apply what you write. Writing out the ways of reducing stress will lend better credibility to those beliefs in you. You will start believing them more.
2. Make sure you have several back-up plans. Thus, considerably lessen the things which may be at stake because of the exam.
3. Share your feelings with the ones who love you. I do it with my mum. I tell her everything I am going through. This helps me a lot. Pouring out the mind’s negative thoughts helps me to then nurture positive thoughts.
4. Start controlling your thoughts consciously. Thoughts will run wild when you are anxious. Remember, you are the Master.
5. When you are under stress, you are bound to be negative – you are bound to say ‘no’ more frequently. You are bound to be more anxious. Accept it. Accept yourself as you are and love yourself.
6. See the macro view – make a long-term plan. Remember, Growth is gradual.